The city of Markham has been experiencing floods due to melted snow, rain, and other extreme weather conditions for many years. Floods can cause devastating effects on your homes which can be costly to fix. Flooding leads to structural damage, ruins your property, decreases its overall value, and the spreading of molds as well. Because of this situation, installing a flood preventing device has become necessary for many homeowners. Sump pumps are helpful flood preventing devices which are placed in a special ditch within your property. Sump pumps collect excessive dirty water and pump it out and away from your property lines. We will explain how the sump pump subsidy program works in Markham.
The services we provide to you
The services that we provide include installation or replacement of sump pumps, installation of their alarms, and the back-up power for sump pumps. Note that the subsidy offered if 80 percent of the invoiced cost up to a maximum of $1,750. It does not take into account the total number of sump pumps installed at various properties, including labor, materials, permits, as well as taxes. We also advise our customers to maintain their sump pumps as well. If you keep the device working in good working order, only then basement flooding is prevented more efficiently. Moreover, they should have sufficient know-how of the functions of sump pumps too.
Conditions of the Markham backwater valve subsidy
Here are some of our important subsidy conditions:
- You should be a registered owner of a single-family, duplex, or triplex residential area within the city of Markham. Your property shouldn’t be exceeding its lifetime’s maximum subsidy amount for every eligible installation.
- We only provide subsidies to homes that are already in existence and not homes that are under construction.
- You must fill out and submit your application within a year of finishing installing your sump pump.
- Make sure you do not owe any taxes or debts to the City of Markham during the application process.
- The contractor(s) or subcontractor(s) that you have selected for the installation of your sump pumps must have a valid license.
- If you have submitted your application, we still cannot guarantee you a subsidy. Note that we issue subsidies on ‘first-come, first-serve basis” only and operate under yearly funding approved by the City Council.
- Your front yard paved area (of your property) along with the parking pads must be according to the City’s Zoning By-law requirements.
- The downspouts from the property’s eaves trough need to be disconnected from the City’s sewer system.
How to apply for the installation of a sump pump installation
If you are installing a sump pump, you are required to complete and sign the Consent to Enter Form along with your Permit application. It will authorize the City’s staff to ensure that you have installed the sump pump, and complied with the Program’s requirement. It is essential for your sump pump to be installed according to the Program’s requirement for you to be considered eligible for the Subsidy program.