Marriage counseling is needed or provided to those couple, married or not married who have been facing some conflicts in their relationships and want to improve the bond between them. These therapies are also called as couple therapies. These are therapist whose profession is to be a counselor.
Issues solved by marriage counseling
There are several issues that can be solved which the couple might be facing and has decided for divorce or breakup. Some of the issues are-
- substance abuse
- same gender relationship problems
- different families
- sexual problems
- physical or mentally unstable
- cultural clashes
- communicating problems
- child rearing difficulties
Benefits of marriage counseling
- Solving conflicts- in these sessions, a couple in given lessons to have good communication skills with each other. This might help them in solving the conflicts they have been facing in a healthy manner.
- Being assertive- both the spouses will be taught how to open themselves in front of each other. Along with communication skills this skill is also very important to teach. This will help the person to open up with the fears which have been hunting them for longer time and the couple can sort out the problem
- More understanding- with good communication skills, the person will be able to open up faster and so does the understanding and the trust issues they have been facing will be solved in very less time.
- Caring- the couple start solving problems and understand each of the point of views that have to solve some unsolved issues. This will lead to a healthy marriage for a longer time.
Thus, therapist or counselors help in progressing and monitoring the marriage.